Individuals who are at risk for formalin toxicity include those who are: Professional activity involving the production of wood shavings, fiberboards, and items made from them Smoking, as well as substance abuse. The premises are inadequately ventilated, and there is a lack of ventilation. Self-medication is long-term medication taken without a doctor's prescription. Inadequate household chemical and medication storage. Formaldehyde can be found in a variety of foods, as well as household chemicals, cosmetics, and pharmaceuticals. Minor doses of this drug are considered safe, but highly concentrated solutions can cause permanent health problems and even death. Formin is the most common cause of formaldehyde poisoning - we're talking about a 40% formaldehyde aqueous solution here (as an auxiliary component, it also contains a small amount of technical alcohol). Despite the fact that formalin is colourless, it has a distinct, strong, and highly unpleasant odour. The smell is what allows you to correctly "guess" the chemical.
Formaldehyde is used in the production of urea-formaldehyde resins, which are then used in the production of chipboard, plywood, MDF, laminate, and other products. Furthermore, formaldehyde solution is present in some disinfectants, embalming agents, cosmetics, household chemicals, and pharmaceuticals. Formaldehyde is a poison that is also irritating and cauterising. When harmful substances enter the body, they are oxidised and converted to formic acid. Renal failure is common in the context of poisoning because such a transition overburdens the kidneys.
The removal of the hazardous agent from the body is extremely slow. In addition to the kidneys, formaldehyde has a negative impact on the brain, nervous system, and digestive tract. Another risk is that formaldehyde quickly permeates all bodily tissues. A harmful chemical, for example, is only detectable in the bone marrow for twelve hours after it enters the oesophagus. This is one of the reasons for the urgent need for emergency medical care.